It's a sunday and, in my world, Sundays either involve a cute outing or they are pyjama days, through and through. Given that I'm on a complete spending ban at the moment and have a tonne of work to do, I'm opting for the latter today. This means that there won't be an outfit post as I think it's best for everyone if my sweat shirt and plaid pyjamas trousers don't make their way onto the internet. It is, however, the perfect opportunity to finally do my Leibster & Versatile Blogger award post, having been nominated by the fabulous Elizabeth from Shopaholic on a Shoestring.
From what I can gather, the idea of these awards is to spread the word about lesser known blogs which, in the words of Elizabeth, "have fantastic content but may not be discovered yet". Given that this description came from the lady herself, I was obviously super happy to be nominated for this award - so thank you!
Now, the rules:
The Leibster Award:
Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
Answer the questions that the nominator set for you plus create 11 questions for the people you’ve nominated to answer.
Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
Go to their page and tell them.
No tag backs!
The Versatile Blogger Award:
Every blogger nominated has been awarded this award.
You must thank the blogger that nominated you and include a link to their blog.
Select 15 bloggers to nominate and post links to their blog.
You must post 7 things about yourself.
From having a nosy at other people's award posts, they seem to just do the 11 things and let that count for both, so I'll follow suit.
11 Things About Myself:
1) I currently study in Gothenburg, Sweden. It's a modest yet incredibly interesting city full of hidden gems and if you get the chance, GO.
2) I'm studying English Lit, which is somewhat ironic given that I'm doing so in Sweden.
3) I always thought I wanted to be a professor, stuffed into a library somewhere losing hair and sleep over how many apostrophes there are in Jane Eyre. I was wrong; I actually want to write about clothes all day long.
4) I keep having dreams (/nightmares?) about my blog that 41 people have blocked me (can you even do that?) and my follower count has dropped to 3. I probably shouldn't be admitting this.
5) On August 6th 2012 I gave up hair dye after 5 years and it having been every single natural colour possible and pink. It's tough going. I'm root central at the moment and it's not pretty.
6) Last February I participated in a paid medical trial to try and resolve my diabolic financial situation, much to the amusement of all my friends, one of whom awarded it the 'best sober story of 2012' prize. Moral of the story: don't get a credit card, kids.
7) I have an irrational fear of ketchup. At V Festival last year, there was an unfortunate incident with a catering bottle of ketchup, being chased around a field and a broken lid. I cried and stripped in front of a lot of people.
8) I have absolutely no rhythm and can't even clap in time. This is genuinely a real hindrance in my life. If life were a musical, I would be severely disabled.
9) I regularly turn down/leave social events because I can't stop thinking about whatever knitting project is waiting for me at home. I am aware how unhealthy this is. I am going to be a great Grandma one day though.
10) I'm also going to be a great wife: I cook, I clean and I always wear matching underwear. Always.
11) I spend an unhealthy amount of time trying to solve fictitious dilemmas, e.g. in an ideal world would I choose to be Dusty Springfield or Beyonce? They are both fabulous but I think I've finally settled on Dusty.
Questions from Elizabeth:
1) What made you start blogging?
For a really long time, and I mean years, I've followed and lusted over certain blogs and wished I was the face behind them. It just kind of clicked one day that I actually could be, and there was nobody stopping me except myself. I also definitely want to go into fashion/journalism and seeing all the opportunities people get is so exciting. I know that comes after a lot of a time and hard work though and at the moment I'm ecstatic about days I make my camera work and getting even one comment on a post.
2) What blogs are you always stalking?
The blogs I check most religiously are, What I Heart Today, Media Marmalade and What Olivia Did. The reason for this is these are the ones I've been addicted to for the longest and I know they all post really regularly. There are a lot of others I check via bloglovin' on a daily basis too, these are just the ones I'll actually go straight to the URLs of in the morning.
3) Favourite clothing store?
This is HARD. I'm going to go for realistic ones I actually shop in, rather than 'in a fantasy world' options. I think at the moment it's probably Mango but at home I'd have to say Topshop. Zara is a strong contender though and, despite only discovering it this week, Monki has to have a mention for how wonderful the actual store is.
4) Lots of cheaper clothes or one expensive item?
Up until about a year ago, I would have said lots of cheaper clothes, but nowadays its definitely the latter. I would rather have one thing and wear it a lot that I am completely in love with with than a selection of things I just like. I want to be head over heels excited about something when I buy it these days, and I probably save money because I never buy questionable items just because they're cheap, which inevitably hanging in my wardrobe to never be worn. However, my favourite past time is hunting down expensive clothes for cheap prices, and I am a bit of a sale fiend.
5) Five things that make you happy?
A new knitting project, wearing heels, sea salt dark chocolate, stumbling upon a great bargain (namely my Mini Market shoes marked down from £284 to £92 - yes, I am bragging here) and breakfast.
6) Favourite piece of clothing you own?
At the moment, it's probably my new winter coat, which I found half price in French Connection and I love it. I haven't featured it yet so I won't link it but you can expect to see it very soon.
7) Favourite thing to do on a rainy day?
I either like to counteract the misery of rainy days by dressing up a bit and going out for lunch, or I like to surgically attach myself to my sweatshirt, eat boiled egg and soldiers and watch reruns of Gossip Girl. At home, my favourite rainy day activity is definitely going to my Grandma's house, indulging in ten varieties of cake and watching Poirot.
8) Describe yourself in 5 words?
Festive, impatient, enthusiastic, realistic, indecisive.
9) What advice would you give now to yourself when you started blogging?
This is tricky because I've not even been blogging for two weeks yet but definitely learn how to use your bloody camera! I'm desperate to take these amazing shots but keep being busy and settling for mediocre because that's the standard I've set now. My mission for this week is some dedicated DIY camera tutorials.
10) What is your favourite thing about Christmas?
EVERYTHING. I've been pretty restrained this year but I bloody love Christmas. I love the lights and buying presents and novelty knitwear and santa hats and the Christmas CD and the smell of the tree and baking mince pies and oh God I love it all. I loved Christmas before loving Christmas was the thing to do, before Christmas jumpers were fashionable. I just love it. Hey - maybe this has kick started my lack lustre festive spirit this year. Thanks Elizabeth!
I know that there are only seven people on this list, but I promise I'm not cheating too much. I made my list of 11 then realised the other 4 had already done it so it seemed a bit pointless. I was going to replace them but as the idea is lesser known blogs, I was sticking to ones with under 100 followers and actually, being quite new to this, I don't seem to follow that many of them. Sorry!
1) How long, if at all, did you spend planning your blog before you started it?
2) Which blogger's style/wardrobe would you most like to have?
3) Do your family and friends read your blog?
4) Where is your favourite place to shop? (Town, country, mall etc)
5) Statement lips or statement eyes?
6) In a burning building, which fashion or beauty item would you save?
7) Which item in your wardrobe serves as an instant pick me up when you put it on?
8) If money were no object, what one thing would you buy right now, fashion/beauty wise?
9) What's your favourite season to dress for?
10) What's your claim to fame?