Friday 16 November 2012

The Daily Bread #9 - Favourites New, Favourites Old



 Jeans - Topshop
Top - River Island
Coat - Topshop
Boots - Bianco
Bag - Oasis
Hat - Vintage
Scarf - Paris, unknown

Last night, I was forced to face every girl's worst fear - or, at least, every disorganised shopaholic's worst fear - when I had to log into my online banking to pay my rent.  It was every bit as unsightly as I had imagined as I saw the reality of the astronomical amounts of money I've spent lately laid before me in black and white.  I'm not yet at the medical trials stage of poverty (yes, that happened) but my summer 2013 funds are dwindling rapidly so I'm on a complete non-essentials spending ban (and it's taken a lot of self-persuasion to accept that lipstick and shoes aren't essentials).  Therefore, you will be seeing a lot of the same items mixed and matched until Christmas which hopefully won't get too boring for you.  To get through these tough times, I'm going to refer to Prickig Katt's advice and "dare a little more, stretch you extra" in order to appreciate the fruits of my wardrobe that already exist.

I'm never sure whether I should take outfit pictures of simply the outfit or once it has been adorned with outerwear.  Given that today involved a pretty boring top (a sheer navy blouse I bought last year and have worn too many times) I thought I'd take the opportunity to add in the coat, bag etc which made the oufit, I think.  I found this mac in a Topshop sale here in Sweden a few weeks ago down from 1400sek to just 400sek (around £40) and, as I'd been looking for a good mac for a while, I found myself at the till straight away.  When it's done up, it has a lovely swingy shape which I love because it adds a bit of a feature to an otherwise very classic choice.

I've had a bit of a love-hate relationship with these jeans.  I've loved them always - of course I have: paisley, my favourite Leigh style, great autumnal colours - but there was a time when I'd eaten a few too many pies and they didn't seem to want to cooperate with the whole 'doing up' activity.  One day though, I woke up and decided that enough was enough and they were being worn.  It was a struggle, let me tell you that, but they did up and have fitted perfectly ever since.  I did make the mistake of going on a plane journey the day of the battle though and they did actually bruise me... once again, no pain, no gain?  They also have them in quite a few UK Topshop stores marked down to £20 now, or they did last week, if you're interested in adding a little paisley cheer to your legs.

Both the hat and scarf are old favourites.  I bought the hat from a vintage stall in Camden, back in the glory days of 2008, and it's been much loved ever since.  Somewhere along the way it became known as my 'Russian hat' and I'm pretty sure my best friend would disown me if I ever got rid of it, although it's starting to look a little tatty.  The scarf was purchased in Paris at the very beginning of a 6 week inter-railing trip.  It was cold, it was raining, we were sad and we only had shorts.  I think I've mentioned before about needing a bit of a comfort blanket on hangover days and the same goes for any kind of bad mood.  We wandered into a shop, came out with these scarves - mine in olive green, Georgia's baby blue - and became very attached to them thereafter.  Mine's not really left my person for any long stretches since.  Am I the only one who relies on various items of clothing to care for my emotional wellbeing?

The colour quality of these pictures is atrocious, I'm sorry.  When I went to take pictures at midday I discovered that my camera batteries were dead and, being me, I of course did not have any spares so had to wait until after my class.  The details of all the pieces I'm wearing have been lost a little due to this but I can assure you, if it's any consolation, that they will all be featuring many more times, so if you want to see them in detail you'll just have to tune back in (wink wink nudge nudge).

The Christmas lights are being switched on in Gothenburg this evening so we're going for a festive evening in the city centre then back here for a dinner party which I'm looking forward to.  Have any of you embarked on festive activities already?

TGIF,
Elise.


4 comments:

  1. gorgeous jeans! and i love the outfit as a whole too :)

    http://ellieetcc.blogspot.co.uk/
    ellie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those jeans!
    Also I’ve nominated you for the Leibster & Versatile Blogger Awards! Check out my blog for the details!
    http://shopaholiconashoestring.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your boots! the colour is great..and they look amazing with your jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling much blessed to be here and reading your thought provoking blog. It has truly increased my knowledge. I will surely come again and again to overcome my thirst for knowledge.
    wholesale womens trousers

    ReplyDelete