Friday 30 November 2012

Foodie Friday #1 - Gone Bananas


I'm not sure how many of you will be interested in this, as this supposedly a fashion blog.  However, I have no plans to get dressed today as there are two unwritten essays with my name on that I need to tackle, and such activities require the comfiest pyjamas and chain drinking tea.  As you can imagine, this wouldn't make the most inspired outfit post.  In place of this, because I've already skipped a day of posting this week, I thought I'd give you my new favourite recipe.

I baked this banana cake last night because I had a few overripe bananas to use and because it was a wonderful way to procrastinate.  I would have taken pictures of the baking process but due to my under-equipt Swedish student kitchen, I had to whip this up in a large saucepan rather than a mixing bowl, so it was all a bit unsightly.  I knew the second I put this in the oven that it'd been worth it though - the smell was heavenly.  I'm not exaggerating.  I usually get impatient baking and just want it to hurry up and cook and already, but this smelt so good I wanted it to stay in the oven all day.  I would happily have this scent bottled and put in a candle.

The recipe based on one I found on Google and, in all honesty, I only picked it because it had cup measurements and I don't have any scales.  It doesn't involve many ingredients and is quite the budget bake.  There's also the potential to make it very healthy by swapping in wholemeal flour and halving the sugar.  Whatever you do though, please just go and bake this now, for the smell alone.

Banana Bread

4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg, beaten
1 cup of sugar
1tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of plain flour
nuts and raisins to taste


Preheat oven to 175°C.


In any large vessel, mix the melted butter into the mashed bananas.  Add the sugar and beaten egg and mix thoroughly.  Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix further.  Add the flour and stir until fully combined.  Lastly, add any nuts and/or raisins (I used approximately one handful each of roughly chopped walnuts, roughly chopped almonds and raisins).  Mix until evenly distributed.  Pour mixture into a pre-prepared greased and lined tin.  Bake for one hour in the centre of the oven.

Inhale the intoxicating scent for sixty minutes.  Eat.



I quite enjoyed writing this post.  How would you feel about a regular 'Foodie Friday' feature?  Not only does it let me take advantage of a good opportunity for alliteration, but it would also stop me just conjuring up bowl after bowl of spaghetti each night out of laziness.

15 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy, like a giant scone! Good luck with your essays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm I love this banana cake (it's been so long since I've last had some) this look delicious

    Francesca xo
    http://goingroundthemulberrybush.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks yum!

    Sita xx
    http://buttonsapart.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this post!!! I love all of your fashion posts, but I always enjoy seeing recipes and other interests popped in my favourite blogs too! I'm making this and adding chocolate chips with the bananas and nuts! thanks so much! - xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm this is so tempting. I can smell it already! And I think the foodie friday thing is a good idea
    enter my international giveaway here on tie-dye-eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banana cake is the best - yours looks yummy!

    accidentsandemergencies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks soo good! Yep, I'm down for foodie friday x

    looksnicesoundsbetter.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious. Definitely need to try it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can imagine it smelt divine... I think the one thing girls love apart from fashion is food... It's a great feature. Makes us drool over food as opposed to clothes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds totally scrumptious Elise, hope it didn't completely distract you from your essays.....?! x
    http://modemadeleine.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious! Yum X

    http://toriadoria.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I just nominated you for the Liebster Award! Be sure to check my blog out to find out more information! :)

    xx, Christine
    http://petitehues.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete